Thursday, August 23, 2012

What a week!

This post was written back in July but never got published so it's a little old.

We just returned home from our World Series trip to Sulphur Louisiana and what an amazing week it turned out to be for all of us.  


When we decided to join the Texan organization last summer, I was a wee bit nervous about the whole "select" sports thing but remember the excitement when listening to others talk about lifelong friends they've made along the way. After a season together, I now know exactly what they were talking about. Our team started out with 11 different families and over the course of the year has become one big family.  We were a little sad to see our trip come to an end but fortunately, these people are now a part of our everyday lives.  It's truly been a blessing for all four of us.  Our time in Louisiana was crazy busy, downright chaotic at times, ridiculously hot but full of laughter and unforgettable memories. Our first game was Wednesday afternoon followed by the parade, opening ceremonies and skills competitions.  


Oh, and let me not forget the trading pin tradition that somehow ended up being my responsibility.  Keller was so upset because everyone's towel was filling up but he didn't want to do the leg work to get his pins so mommy ended up being the one to chase down baseball players for a pin.  


You can bet I won't be doing that next year!  Yeah right, I'm a sucker when it comes to my kids so I'm sure I'll be right there doing it again.  We spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday cheering for our boys, dining as a party of 39, swimming at the pool and being as loud as we possibly could in a hotel full of baseball players and parents.



It was more fun than we ever imagined possible...and I loved every single minute of it just as much as the kids.  The boys didn't take home the 1st place trophy they were hoping for but beat the team that finished first so in their minds, that was just as good. As parents, we were proud of them no matter what for playing their hearts out in 100+ degree temps and on turf that made it seem even hotter.  Keller's cleats were burning his feet at one point...bless his sweet heart.  They were troopers and handled it much better than I ever would've as a child.  The competition was the toughest we've seen all season but our 6 year old boys definitely turned some heads with their level of play and held their own against some awesome 7 year old teams.  It was a wonderful experience for the boys and the perfect ending to an incredible Spring season.  We can't wait to do it again next summer but this time, we'll be at a ball field in Gulf Shores, Alabama.  I'm pretty sure I can get used to this whole out of state World Series thing when it involves a white sandy beach, clear blue waters and cheering for my favorite #19.  


Life as a baseball mom is sweeter 


and crazier than I ever imagined it would be...


and I love it!

No comments: